Employment - "A Great Place to Work!"
- Customer contact specialists with outgoing personalities, winning smiles, and the ability to have spontaneous conversations with complete strangers.
- Who should apply:
- Any “people person” above the age of 16.
- You must be available from Memorial Day through Labor Day as our short season makes it difficult to accommodate any extended absences.
- Summer season positions:
- Hiring timeline:
- Accept applications: January – April
Conduct interviews*: January – April
All positions filled: May
- Due to the large number of applications we receive we are apologize but we may not be able to get back with each and every one of you. Please know we have received your application and will keep it on file for one year. Should there be an opening we will contact you about an interview. Thank you.
Submit the completed application to:
Virginia Garrigan, Human Resources Director
Black Hills Reptile Gardens, Inc
Rapid City, SD 57709
Note: We do on occasion have openings throughout the season or may need help in the fall, so feel free to contact us any time regarding employment.
* Applicants must apply in person, do not send a representative or parent to speak for you.
Reptile Gardens is open to the public from April 1 through November 30. Openings each season depend on how many of the previous season's staff return; most people work several, if not many, years with us. We do sometimes have job-share opportunities, although most of our positions are full-time through the summer.
Our busy season is from Memorial Day through Labor Day. During the summer we employ 75 to 100 people; most work with our Guests and have little direct contact with the animals.
Spring & Fall (shoulder seasons)
During April, May, September, and October we employ fewer people, but do occasionally need staff.
From November through March, our permanent staff of 20 is able to handle all the work to be done.
Note to out-of-state applicants
We do not mail out applications and do not hire without a personal interview; however, if you plan to be in the area we can arrange an interview with you. If you are in the area at some time other than March or April, we can often arrange to meet with you if you contact us well in advance. We are always delighted to employ people from out-of-state and have had seasonal staff members from all 50 states.
Keep in mind that we do not offer dormitories or other housing and rent in this area can be relatively high. Many of our out-of-town staff members have been able to live with Rapid City area family or friends while working here.
About our hiring philosophy
The staff at Reptile Gardens is very proud of being one of the first businesses in South Dakota to receive the Governor's Great Service Award for "Outstanding Commitment to Hospitality and Education in the Visitor Industry." To that end, we are always looking for friendly people.